Top Social

OPINIONS ON LIFE, BOOKS, MUSIC, FOOD AND FASHION FROM THE GIRL WHOS ALWAYS BEEN THE LAST ON THE LIST

JUNE/JULY BOOK WRAP UP!

Saturday, 30 July 2016


I'm back literally a year later! My last post was about the first Suicide Squad trailer which is coming out in four days and I am so excited even though I am most likely seeing it alone. There is also a reason I've been gone so long but I'll explain that in another blog post. Right now, I am going to go through what I read this summer, what I rated it and a spoiler-free review.

Book 1: Just One Day by Gayle Foreman 


Rating: 4/5
This book is about a girl called Allyson who's on a trip around Europe before she goes to university in America. At the end of the tour, she meets a guy called Willem in London who offers to take her to Paris for the day as that was the place she most wanted to go but didn't manage to get there.  It then follows their unconventional adventure in Paris for the day and the events that follow.
My thoughts: I read this book because I'd just finished A-Level's and I didn't want to read anything heavy or YA Fantasy so I found myself delving into a good old YA Romance. There are clich├ęs to the book but I honestly didn't mind them. I loved the setting and how Gayle Foreman managed to accurately portray heartbreak and the life of a uni student who is struggling to come to terms with what they want to do. The characters are very relatable and not overexaggerated. The ending, in my eyes, was very real and I cannot wait to read the sequel. The weird thing about this book is that I found myself rooting for Allyson, not necessarily the love story. It's hard to explain but I guess I wanted her as a character to be happy with herself more than I wanted her to be with the guy. Also if you want to have a love affair with the idea of living in Paris, read this book. I now just want to move there right away.

Book 2: The Diviners by Libba Bray


Rating: 4/5
Set in 1920's America, this book follows the different stories of Diviners living in New York City. Diviners are sort of magical people, people with powers or talents. The "main" character Evie is sent to New York to live with her eccentric uncle after her divining leads her into trouble. When her uncle is asked to help look into a string of murders with a weird connection to the supernatural, they begin to find that they aren't committed by any old human. 
My thoughts: I really liked the setting of this book and I felt like I was reading 5 different books with the amount of characters you have to follow. I feel like it had a slow start and the excitement didn't really pick up until very near the end but I didn't feel like any of the chapters prior to that were unnecessary or boring. I think my favourite characters were Jericho and Memphis just because I felt I could relate to them more than the others. I am a big gin drinker so the amount of gin in this book made me weirdly happy. 

Book 3: The Art Of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson


Rating: 4.5/5
 Following the story of David Piper, a girl stuck inside a boys body, this book explores the thought process and the life of a trans girl. He's endlessly bullied at school and struggles to tell his parents but when he meets Leo Denton, a boy who sticks up for him, he finds himself becoming more confident with who he is and the two become friends.
My thoughts: Oh. My. God. I love this book. I bought this a year ago and have been meaning to read it for such a long time. I went to Pride festival in Lisbon when I was on holiday, came home and saw this on my shelf and thought I should read it. Although I am probably the biggest supporter of LGBTQ+ community, there are still things that this book has made me understand better and change my opinion of. It is seriously an eye opener and an amazing insight into someone's mind you would rarely find in any other book or tv show. I seriously think this book should be a compulsory read in all schools. My only issue is that it's simply written but after work stressing me out for two weeks, I ended up not entirely minding that.

Wow. That's it for the past two months. I know it's probably bad but I've been so jetlagged and I've been on my feet quite a lot so I don't think I've read as much. Hopefully August will be a more prolific reading month. 

Peace Out

Post Comment
Post a Comment

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature